Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Iron Chef Utah

Will and I love to watch Iron Chef America. It's fun to see what the secret ingredient is for each show, and what crazy stuff they make (like lobster ice cream, or cotton candy sprinkled with cayenne pepper). On Sunday we were watching it, and it was getting to be dinner time, and pretty soon our kitchen turned into Iron Chef Utah.

I didn't take any pictures, but we made some really good food. We had an american style picadillo (Costa Rican dish that has chopped veggies and meat in it). Ours had potatoes, bell peppers, celery, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and sausage in it. Then just before we finished, I realized it was missing something. I wanted mango in it, but we didn't have any, so we settled for some apples. It was perfect!

In addition to our picadillo, we had some Costa Rican rice, black beans, and homemade tortillas. The only problem with it all was that we made enough to feed about a million people. I'll be eating this for dinner every night this week.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I would love to have a good recipe for homemade tortillas. Share please!

queenieweenie said...

I'll come over!

Wait..I''m in California.

Oh well.

Nancy said...

For the homemade tortillas, we just use Maseca... you can buy a bag of it just about anywhere. It makes corn tortillas. Sometimes I think they smell a little funny, but they're very authentic when you're having Costa Rican food. Actually the only people who normally eat flour tortillas are from Mexico.

Follow the instructions on the maseca bag to make the tortillas, but be sure to add salt. I also recommend getting a tortilla press. It makes the whole process MUCH easier and faster.

Mommy said...

I love Iron Chef too! The one I saw recently on Parmigiano Regiano looked awesome, but most of the time I wouldn't want to be a judge because I wouldn't want to eat some of the stuff. I do not like to try very many new foods. But it's cool to see what they can do in just an hour and without knowing what they'll be making! (I'm totally addicted to the Food Network and HGTV. Yes, I know I'm totally lame.)