Monday, July 14, 2008

Bloodletting

For those who haven't been through it, infertility requires a lot of tests. Usually those tests involve taking some sort of fluid... usually blood. In fact, I've had my blood drawn so many times in the last year, I can't even count.

Usually my blood is taken once a month between days 21 and 23 of my monthly cycle. This blood draw is to check my hormone levels to see if I'm on enough medication to actually make me ovulate. Today was day 23... so I went to the hospital to get my blood drawn.

I checked in with the same girl that sees me every month. She asked how I was doing and since she asks me the same questions every time I come in, this time she just said, "Has anything changed?" Nope. Nothing. That's why I keep coming back.

Then I went to the outpatient lab, where the same lady who draws my blood every time greeted me like this, "Just coming for the progesterone test?" Yep. That's me. Progesterone test girl.

Please note my blood was being drawn from my right arm... I'm right handed... and obviously an amazing photographer if I can take a picture one handed with my left hand. :)

This time I shook things up a little by telling her I was going to take a picture. She laughed and wondered why. I told her it's because I blog, and my readers should get to see what I have to do every month. She didn't quite get it, but moved her other hand out of the way so I could get a good picture.

Thankfully she was fast at my blood draw this time. I've had to leave before with both arms being poked, then the phlebotomist (I love that word) having to fish around with no luck, but they finally found a spot on my hand or upper arm or something. I won't put in the picture of when they ended up blowing a vein. It's a really bad bruise.

What strange things do you do regularly?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to drink about 16 ounces of water an hour or two before you go to get your blood drawn. It makes everything easier. No more having to poke more than once.

I relate to many blood draws...always checking my thyroid numbers....

You do get used to it!

Nancy said...

My problem isn't always with enough water in my system (though that did cause one nurse in the ER to have to poke me 3 times for an IV), it's that I have really small veins, and the only one that is consistent is on my right arm. It's really deep, and I used to give blood every 8 weeks (without fail), so I've got lots of scar tissue there already (those needles they use for blood donation are big).

William said...

Obviously it is not ME getting sticked - but the most annoying thing is not the needles, it the reason for needing it done. I can't wait for this to be over!

D-dawg said...

Ah, what a pain getting your blood drawn. I hope someday you can look back and say, "it was all worth it!" Good luck with all of it. It is SO hard.