Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm confused

This is a cry for help. Last night I went to Target to start a baby registry. I thought it would be just about as easy as doing a wedding registry (which I totally enjoyed). However, I was completely surprised when I was totally overwhelmed by everything in the store.

Since we don't know what the sex of the baby is yet, we're kinda stuck on deciding what we want (when it comes to stuff that is obviously for a boy or a girl). The harder thing is knowing if there really is a difference when it comes to car seats, strollers, cribs, etc.


So I've started my registry at Target with the basic theme for our baby's room (jungle/safari/wild animals), but I have no idea what I'm really going to need.

So before I start registering at Babies R US (which I found I needed after I realized Target has a very small selection), I need some advice.

What do I really need, and what are some essentials you won't go without? I'm totally lost, and I need help!!!

11 comments:

queenieweenie said...

Since I haven't been pregnant for over seven years, I'm probably not really hip on the latest and greatest.

With my four, I couldn't live without LOTS and LOTS of cloth diapers (I prefer the unfolded kind). I used them for everything: Burp cloths of course, and I would tuck one underneath their little baby chins before I'd nurse so their outfits wouldn't get wet (it was so cute because VERY early on they would start turning their head whenever I tucked a cloth under their chin 'cause they knew that meant they were going to eat!)...I also used tucked them into the top section and sided of their crib so I wouldn't be changing their sheet everyday.

That's all I've got...but I've heard Lansino? nursing pads are the best and a lot of people swear by the bumbo.

Rachelle Johnson said...

Hey nance! So excited for you... and this is a super fun part, getting ready for the bebe :)

We've been pretty happy with everything we got; I too was lost but after tons of research I think we made the right decisions... But there is a lot we love, so rather than leave a novel, if you're really curious just give me a call sometime. And yes, there are differences in quality & usefulness of just about everything, especially car seats, strollers, swings, etc. And those major things you can get now (I think it's better to go gender-neutral so you can use them again)

Have fun! We got most everything from Babies 'r us, they have a better selection and are competitively priced... I agree Target pretty much sucks, we gave up on them.

William said...

This post is a great idea!

Blogiverse:
Even if you don't have specific recommendations, we would appreciate knowing (at least) what to look for in various things like Car-seats, etc. What features should we look for?

AnnP said...

I would say that a couple of things that are necessary are some bottles and a breast pump. Also, have some powdered formula in a bottle in your diaper bag at all times. Believe me on this one. I pretty much only nursed Catherine, but there were a couple of occasions were we needed formula. When Catherine was only a few days old I had to go in to the hospital for emergency surgery. We had only packed 2 diapers and no formula. My husband had to ask a nurse to track down some formula for the baby while I was in surgery.

A couple of things that we have loved are a BundleMe (a blanket that attaches to your carseat and zips up. It makes the carseat warmer and then you aren't dragging a blanket when you take the carseat out of the car. If Catherine still fit into her infant carseat I would be putting it back on the carseat right now).

Also, Catherine loved the little toys that dangled from the carseat. Even before she could play with them she would just stare at them.

I have really liked having a mirror that attaches to the headreast in the backseat so I can see the baby, even though she is facing the other way.

Whew. I could go on and on. Good luck.

Mandy said...

humm.. car seats/stroller combo....
well we were really excited to get a "Z" handled car seat, because AJ's sister recommended it, but the travel system that we picked out was pretty weak in the maneuvering(it refuses to go over bumps in side walks). so Z handle or not, if I were to go back- I would pick something else. I would recommend investing a bit into a nice travel system if you intend on using it often. We went neutral in our colors for obvious reasons(we're like rabbits over here(weeeee), hand-me-downs are a necessity) But you can choose, go neutral or gender specific- Have fun!

Shirley said...

Luckily, I was able to borrow most stuff from Stephanie for Belle. And now the second time around, I've bought alot of my own stuff because I was able to see what worked and what didn't. In the morning, I will totally email you a big list.
Love you!

Ellie said...

OH I have opinions. I am calling you later with my list.

Also, I am sending a big box of baby stuff. I need your address.

Shauna McDonald said...

First of all Congrats!! Everytime you see your little one on the screen, hear the heart beat, or hold them in your arms - it makes all the years of waiting, enduring rude comments, testing, and procedures worth it. At least that has been my experience. I also think it makes you appreciate things more, especially the little things.

I agree registering and getting ready is confusing and overwhelming. This is what Dan & I found from endless hours of researh. (we're a little safety obsessed)

Car Seat - stay away from cosco, safety first,& eddie bauer = poor safety ratings.
As for the other brands it is a lot of personal preference and how much you want to spend. Best advice spend time at babies r us seening how easy it is to buckle & unbuckle, how easy it is to put on & off its base, see how well it fits in your car. I know some who wanted the top of the line Britax, but it wouldn't fit in the car. I also think this is one item you must buy new. We used a graco w/both kids.

Stroller- see how easy it is to put the carseat on & off if you go the carseat/stroller combo. See how easy it is to fold up & down, see how heavy it is w/out a baby (lifting in & out of car), check out size, etc...If I were to do it again I think I'd get a combi - they are so light weight, sturdy, and easy to manuever.

Crib - pretty standard, you pay for how it looks. Test out how easy it is to get the side up & down with your arms/hands full. We bought used off of craigslist, but purchased a mattress new. Several matress height possibilities is also useful. Remember spraypaint can help you acheive a specialized look.

As for my can't do without:

Swing - Zoe slept in hers a lot due to refulx problems. I used it so much I suggest getting one that plugs in and uses batteries.

Snugli (frontpack) - some prefer a sling. Helps keep hands free to do housework or other things if you have a baby who loves to be held close. I used it a ton w/Noah. Try out different models.

Bopi - great for nursing it also is good for proping/sitting/laying a baby in. Dan also found it useful to add support while holding the baby.

Breast pump - if you want a nice electric one, you can find great deals on eBay; and all the parts that touch you or milk can be purchased new.

When they get around 5-6 months I think it is well worth it to get an exersaucer or jumperoo. It keeps them entertained while you get some work done.

Don't be afraid to look at garage sales and craiglist for some items, or ask for hand me downs. The baby won't care if it's new or used.

It turned out longer than I planned, but I could go on and on. Feel free to ask me specifics, i'd love to share or help any way I can.

--Shauna (will's cousin)

Paige said...

You don't need a lot of stuff. Graco carseat and stroller (I've had 7 strollers at one time before, and that is my favorite one) it's huge. get over it. It has a drink holder for you! And holds a ton.

Other than that just need a bouncy seat, crib, changing table. You don't need a high chair until much later.

Hannah said...

I think I'm the only person on the planet that hates carseat/stroller travel systems. Lane thought it was so cool to be able to put the car seat on the stroller, but we never used it. I finally bought a McClaren stroller (my favorite thing ever) because it is light and can fold/unfold with one hand. I would think about how much you want to carry the car seat around, and if you don't mind it the travel systems are fine; I refused to take the carseat out of the car, I hate hauling them around.
If you and Will were both big babies, or babies that grew really fast and got heavy quickly, you will want to look at the weight requirements of the infant seat you get; gracos only go up to 22 pounds. And 29 inches, which is now too short for Molly so we have to get a converter carseat for her. My favorite brand of carseat is Britax; it has one of the best safety ratings, they are much more comfortable than many, and I felt they were the easiest to adjust the straps on (at least for the larger seats).
Babies tend to like bassinets better than cribs at first, so one of those is nice.
Lots and lots of onsies. And cloth diapers.
I love lansinoh nursing pads. They are very absorbent. If you want a manual pump the two best are Medela Harmony (which I have) and Advent Isis.
Also some large thin blankets for swaddling.
Also, make sure that you have diapers and wipes a few weeks early just in case the baby decides to make an early appearence (like mine do).
I guess that's a pretty good list... Hope it helps!

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd leave a comment about exersaucer or jumparoo. Developmentally, they are not the greatest thing for babies. People think that it helps make their legs stronger; it's a myth. Babies develop from the head down and from the middle out. So they start to gain control of their heads first and from their torsos to their extremities. So putting them in a contraption that makes them try to use thier legs before they are developmentally ready could be more deterimental than beneficial. A large clean blanket on the floor is all they need and if you need someplace to put them so you can do something, get a pack'n play.