Thursday, December 11, 2008

Wait... what?

I don't have any pictures from my eventful morning. It started out with a cough... yesterday.

I love finding pictures online. I wish I looked that cute this morning. :)

I started getting a cough yesterday. I thought it was kinda weird considering the fact that I caught a cold 2 weeks ago. But I didn't think much of it until this morning. At 4 am.

I woke up coughing, and wheezing, and nothing was really working to make it better. I tried my inhaler... nothing. I tried calming down... nothing. I tried laying down... that made it worse. Eventually Will woke up (kinda hard to stay asleep when the person next to you in bed is hacking up a lung). We decided to call the nurse line for suggestions as to how to feel better (and breathe better). She suggested the ER. Great. My favorite place in the whole wide world! (read with great amounts of sarcasm, obviously.)

So we drove over to the hospital, and as soon as they found out I was pregnant, they said they were going to send me to labor and delivery. I was thinking, ummm... there's not a problem with the baby, but there might be if you can't figure out how to make me breathe better. Finally a nurse realized that I wasn't in labor, and told the guy pushing my wheelchair to leave me in the ER.

Oddly enough, the doctor came in before the nurse was even done taking my vitals (which were all fine). He listened to one breath and then put his stethoscope on my neck and upper chest. Then he said, "You have croup."

Wait... WHAT?

I thought croup was what little kids get in the winter time. I thought it was accompanied by massive amounts of mucous. How in the world did I get croup?

Turns out, it can hit anyone, especially after a cold. And the mucous is coming, probably next week sometime. Right now, it's all the tissues in my upper respiratory tract that are inflammed. So I did a breathing treatment, and took some nasty tasting stuff to help with the inflammation, and they sent me home.

Honestly, I'm tired of feeling sick. And I have 2 weeks of coughing to look forward to. Yippee. Hopefully I'm feeling better by Christmas.

Hope you enjoyed my pity party. Come again anytime.

4 comments:

Liberty Weaver said...

I'm sorry! I can't believe they were going to send you to labor and delivery... how very funny! My little girl gets croup- it's no fun! Although the cough lingers for awhile, it doesn't seem that painful... does that help even a little???
I love you!!

Hazen5 said...

You poor thing! I thought only kids got it too! I am glad you went to the ER to get all fixed up.

queenieweenie said...

Scary! ERs are no fun...especially in the middle of the night!

Hope you feel better soon.

Tricia said...

I hope you have a speedy recovery!