Sunday, September 14, 2008

Update/Guest Blog

My last post was forever ago (aka 2 weeks) and I had a comment asking what I've been doing.
This is it. Sleeping. A lot. I occassionally get on and comment on others' blogs, but that's about it.

Will took this picture while I was napping. He may die now. Until then... he's doing a guest blog. Enjoy. I'll be back soon.

__________________________________________________________

Hurry-up & Wait

As with a lot of things in life, you have to hurry and stress and lose sleep to get something done in time .... and then you wait. And wait. And wait. I am currently in that familiar holding pattern. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just twiddling my thumbs or anything (believe me, I have enough to do), but now I am in the part of the medical school application where I wait.

For those that don't know (which should be nobody, since Nancy keeps you all so well informed) I am applying to medical school. I could have turned the application in back in June -- but didn't for various reasons. Mainly, because it is expensive. So, I finally submitted it tonight and I'm left waiting to hear back about them.

For those that may not be familiar with the process, here's the break-down. As you will see, I will have a few more "waiting periods" before I hear anything definitive back.

1st -- I had to submit the massive on-line general application. That included entering all my personal information along with every class that I have ever taken. I also had to put it information on all the different service, work, hobbies (do I have time for hobbies?), etc. that I did in hopes of making them think I would be a good doctor. Then (it gets better), I had to do 3 seperate essays about why I want to go to medical school, why I think an MD/PhD program is good, and what research I have done. Then, after clicking submit (and $400 later) I have officially applied to 9 medical schools. ... .... That is where I'm at right now.

2nd -- Now I wait, and wait, and wait (it could take several weeks) for any of the schools to reply and say "we want to know more about you".

3rd -- Then, I will fill out the "secondary application" that they send me and send it back before the deadline they give me (the "hurry-up" part, again).

4th -- Then, I wait again (see the pattern) for them to review that and decide if they like me. If they do, they will contact me to schedule an Interview.

5th -- At this point, I have to pay my own way to go to that medical school when they say to go talk to their admissions people about why I like their school (even if I know nothing about the school) and answer any other meaningless questions they have for me. One of their favorite questions, I have heard, is what is the last book you read other than for "required reading". (Like I have time to read).

6th -- Then, you guessed it, ... I wait to hear back from them to see if they want me to go to their school.


So, that is what I'm in the middle of right now. Besides all my homework, volunteering, full-time job, etc. (I think Nancy blogged about that before) -- my "free time" is now at the mercy of the schools that I had to pay to get them to even look at my application. ..... It should be a fun semester. :)


Sorry for the rambling ... I hope I didn't bore you all too much.

7 comments:

queenieweenie said...

What is it with our creepy husbands taking pictures of us sleeping (mine posted one of me a while back too)???

Good luck with the med. school thing!

Ellie said...

NANCY! Wake up and help WILL!

xo,
E

Mandy said...

I didn't get the transition at the beginning of Will's discourse, so for a moment there I thought Nancy was applying for med school and referring to herself in 3rd person.... yeah that's a mandy moment.
Good luck Will!
yes- Nancy we need to play soon!

Shirley said...

All I gotta say is, Will, better you than me! Hopefully UC Davis or some other place out here decides they like you. :) Do bribes help?

Nancy said...

Thanks for posting, Will. Thankfully, he's actually doing really well with everything. I help him as much as I can. We actually worked on most of his application together. Granted, I can't do his homework for him, but I check on him to see what I can do for him, and he has me proofread everything he turns in. I actually enjoy that, because then I get to know what he's working on, and he turns in stuff without crazy spelling errors. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a doctor friend who until recently was on the interview committee for USC Med School. He told me that the one thing that they look at more than anything else is diverse activities. Good grades are a given.....everyone better have those! They want well-rounded applicants. Best wishes for a speedy decision to the place of your dreams.....

Hi Nancy....nothing like lots of sleep....you looked totally cozy.

Hazen5 said...

Looks like you are not the only photographer in the family!

Best of luck with your applications, I hope you get into your first choice!!!