Monday, February 4, 2008

Goin' to the chapel...

Okay, so I've been a little remiss in my blogging during the last week, but I have a really good reason! I've been "working."

Now, I know that me working might seem funny to those who know I quit my full time job 9 months ago, but I've been preparing for a bridal fair, hence I've been working. (If any of you don't know, I'm a photographer by trade, and I'm working to rebuild my clientele after our move to Utah.) Basically, it' s a trade show where you get a bunch of vendors together who all want to cater, decorate, photograph or otherwise help brides to plan their weddings. Then you tell all the BYU and UVSC students (or even the high schoolers) that you're hosting such a gathering and here's what you get... A bunch of crazy girls who may or may not be getting married, dragging their boyfriends, fiances, moms or friends with them to go around and try to win all the free stuff they can, and to plan their wedding that is happening next week, next summer, or sometime in the next decade (they hope). The girls' friends and female family members get just as excited about wedding preparations, while the men all find out which vendors are giving away food, and hope the people running the booth don't recognize them the second or third time they come around to get said food.

To be totally honest, it's a great opportunity to drum up some business, but by the end of the day, I'm exhausted from standing and talking with brides about what they want for their wedding photography. This fair was pretty successful. I was able to get 60-65 good contacts from brides (or wannabe brides) I talked with, and the fair will provide me with contact info for every bride who registered (over 300, I'd guess). In fact, I was so busy I didn't get a picture of my booth, so I've included a picture from the last fair (the only real difference was the flowers). So hopefully I'll be so busy with business that my next post will be a little late, but I'll do my best to keep up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very successful event. Getting recognized is the beginning since the word spreads and then you have to start turning people away.....know you will have a great career doing what you love doing.
Wedding moms can be trying when they forget their place. It isn't fun being in the middle of that dynamic!

Anonymous said...

hmmm... nice flowers :)